Einstein and Montefiore: An Evolving Relationship
Two years after scientist and humanitarian Albert Einstein agrees to lend his name to a new medical school, the College of Medicine welcomes its first class of students (pictured here on graduation day, 1959).
Einstein affiliates with Montefiore. Seated, from left: Jacob W. Schwab, president, Montefiore Hospital; Samuel Belkin, Ph.D., president, Yeshiva University. Standing, from left: Marcus D. Kogel, M.D., dean, Albert Einstein College of Medicine; Martin Cherkasky, M.D., director, Montefiore.
Montefiore assumes operational responsibility for Einstein’s Jack D. Weiler Hospital.
The Einstein and Montefiore departments of medicine merge, combining the strengths of both campuses. Louis Sherwood, M.D., becomes the first unified chair of medicine.
Montefiore employs joint Einstein-Montefiore faculty.
Dean Allen M. Spiegel, M.D., and Steven M. Safyer, M.D., president and CEO of Montefiore, sign a renewal agreement reaffirming the partnership between Einstein and Montefiore. The two institutions agree that Einstein will administer research grants awarded to Montefiore.
Continuing the effort begun in 1977 to develop unified departments, each headed by a single chair, Einstein and Montefiore jointly recruit Judy L. Aschner, M.D. (pediatrics), left; Mark P. Schoenberg, M.D. (urology); Matthew N. Bartels, M.D. (physical medicine and rehabilitation); and Sharmila K. Makhija, M.D. (obstetrics & gynecology and women’s health).
The YU-Montefiore agreement is finalized. Montefiore has operational and financial responsibility for Einstein, and Einstein becomes its own legal entity. Transfer to Montefiore of Einstein clinical programs (e.g., the Division of Substance Abuse, the Children’s Evaluation and Rehabilitation Center) is complete.