Westchester in the Bronx
Ever wonder why the Bronx business district south of our campus is called Westchester Square? In 1654, Thomas Pell of Connecticut bought most of the eastern half of the modern Bronx from Native Americans living there (although the Dutch also laid claim to the land). He then invited 16 families to form the village of Westchester near what is now Westchester Square. Between 1683 and 1714, the village was the seat of Westchester County. It became part of the Bronx in the second half of the nineteenth century.